Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Login
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: The Ride
The official forum of 20kride.com
Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic

First unread post
Moderators : Bass, Propwash
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
Post What Do You Remember The Most? Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:25 pm
Squid
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Well personally I rember to much about the ride. And now I'am wondering what was your main intrest?

Back where I belong finally..
Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:28 pm
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
What's funny to me is that even after all the pictures and videos I've seen of the ride I still only remember the same 3 moments from when I was 3 years old. I remember the seat flipping down, the bubbles, and the giant squid attack (though my memory of it is rather different than the real thing looks to me now).

But man, those memories were really burned into my little brain. :)
Post What do your remember the most? Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:58 pm
elmonemo21
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Off the top of my head, the thing I remember most where the sharks swimming round and round. If you didn't look too hard, you couldn't see the wires :wink:

I also liked the divers trying to catch the sea turtle, it reminded me of the movie.
Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:57 am
Bass
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
The part of the ride I liked most was in the back of the Caverns where the Nautilus dove its deepest and you could see strange sea creatures that glow in the dark waters. What was cool about that part of the ride is there was a huge section of water on the backside of the caverns that was totally unused...empty...void of anything. Late at night that section gave me the creeps! No catwalks, no fish, nothing! Spooky!
Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:16 am
mxracer25
What I remember was when I was a kid I actually thought the subs went underwater! Now that I am older and have recently researched a lot abou the ride, I realized it was all an illinsion. I dont know but for some reason I thought the subs went under. Anyway I remeber going to Disneyworld in the summer of 2000 and I was like hey lets go ride 20,000 leagues under the sea with me friends! I just remeber how I thought it was the best ride ever! When I arrived to the site all that was there was "NOTHING" , a lagoon full of water!! I asked workers where the ride was and they had no idea what I was talking about! The other day I was watching tv and I saw a special about Disney and the show had to be old because the ride was one of the attractions. I remeber someone told me that visited Disney often that someone had drowned on the ride and thats why it closed.... so i had to do some research... I heard about the cost factor... is that really the reason they closed it??

I know this is extremely long but I just wanted to tell you all ho0w awesome it is to have other fans out there with the same intrest!
Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:49 am
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
It's pretty amazing how many people though they were going under when at any time you could look up and see the surface right there!
Post Did the subs actually dive? Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:14 am
Bass
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Well, no, they didn't but WDW's "fleet" of boats was considered the 7th largest navy in the world at one time. The effect of diving was accomplished by the sound of diving valves, the upwards motion of the bubbles as they passed by the guest's porthole and the floating of the sub all created the plausible suspension of disbelief and voila! You could fool youself into believing you were diving down into the water.

Another little fact most people don't realize:
20,000 Leagues under the sea was the distance travelled, not the depth at which the sub dove! Water depth is/was measured in fathoms which is approx. 6 feet in depth. A league is considered 3 nautical miles or 5.56 kilometers in distance traveled.

I wonder if anyone at 20K ever found that elusive bucket of propwash along with a few feet of shoreline?
Post Divers Divers Divers and more Divers! Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:22 am
SaturationDiver
Well there were many things... the cool subs, the fighting crabs and hell, everything in the showbuilding, but the thing that stuck in my mind the most was the group of divers. Ever since the first time I rode 20K, I had a fascination with those guys. I dunno why, it's kinda weird I guess, but it stuck with me.

It stayed with me for years, and those little guys definitely had something to do with the career I chose. Now, decades later, I'm a commercial diver logging deep-water saturation dives in the North Sea. Sometimes even pulling depths of up to 1000ft, but that's a BIG sometimes!

I've never met anyone who's life path has been so affected by a themepark attraction, guess I must be unique! Oh, and if anyone's in posession of one of the divers, please get in touch! I'll double what you paid for it. :wink:
Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:15 pm
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
I have some pictures of an old listing on ebay of what was purportedly a head and diving tank from one of the divers. I didn't put them up on the site yet because I'm not convinced they're legit, but hell, maybe I'll just put them up anyway. Unfortunately I have no other info on that auction for ya!
Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:00 pm
SaturationDiver
Hmmm sounds interesting. A set of tanks were pulled from a diver in '94 by a former Disney artist I used to know, but he wasn't in too much of a hurry to part with it. Oh well, he'll get pride of place beside the helmets if he ever does show up at my side...

Leads to another question... what bits and pieces of 20K have you guys managed to pick up over the years?
Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:01 pm
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
why, that's a good enough question to warrant starting a new topic thread :)
Let's take it to the new one I just started.
Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic