Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Login
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: The Ride
The official forum of 20kride.com
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic

First unread post
Moderators : Bass, Propwash
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
Post miniature nautilus Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:09 pm
20k/leppard13
I bought one of the miniature nautilus replicas off of ebay a few months ago. It is an exelent replica and is a great investment. I read about one about a year ago on this site, but couldnt find it again when I went to reply. Anyone no what that is near the propeller on the right side? Possibly a vent for exaust? Still, pretty cool replica, exellent 20k christmas gift.

Happy Hollydays! :D
Post pics Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:18 pm
Scooter
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Got any pics of the replica?

Scott Karl
Post Replica Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:51 am
20k/leppard13
I can probably get some pics up soon. Sorry it took me so long to reply!
Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:17 am
mantix
Is this the one you mean? It's a 500 limited edition from Randy Noble.

(the pic is from the Photos section of this website)

I bought one recently. The design is great, but the COLOR is just all wrong. I'm planning on having it professionally repainted soon:

-the actual exterior color was a darker, more olive green
-the large round helm windows should be a smokey black
-the round orb behind the helm window was more of a forest green
-there should be scattered brownish splotches from wear and tear
-the replica is missing the red light on top
-its also missing the red/orange/green light on the back tail fin

Any other suggestions before I attempt the repaint?

I know it will kill any resale value of the "limited edition" replica, but I'd rather have it look as accurate as possible. Last edited by mantix on Mon May 12, 2008 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:49 am
Bass
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Actually, I think if someone made a replica that included all those items, it would make it MORE valuable as this replica of the ride sub was absolutely the wrong color. Also, if you dare, reconstructing the bogey system under the sub with the prop included would be most cool. You're right, the sub was dark green with painted rust effect on almost all the bolts... remember, this was a 19th century iron ship... so rust was everywhere. Good luck on your personal refurb!

Bass

>>I bought one recently. The design is great, but the COLOR is just all wrong. I'm planning on having it professionally repainted soon:

-the actual exterior color was a darker, more olive green
-the large round helm windows should be a smokey black
-the round orb behind the helm window was more of a forest green
-there should be scattered brownish splotches from wear and tear
-the replica is missing the red light on top
-its also missing the red/orange/green light on the back tail fin

Any other suggestions before I attempt the repaint?

I know it will kill any resale value of the "limited edition" replica, but I'd rather have it look as accurate as possible<<
Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:56 am
mantix
Thanks for the tips Bass. :)

It may take awhile for me to get going on this project, but I'll post some pictures of the sub in a different thread. Last edited by mantix on Wed May 14, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:53 pm
mantix
Quote:
Anyone know what that is near the propeller on the right side? Possibly a vent for exaust?

If you're asking about the small tan colored piece on the right rear side of the sub model, which looks like a pipe folded back and forth onto itself, I think it's a heat exchanger (and not an exhaust).

This picture shows the heat exchanger on the sub in the background. It's on the bottom, on the right hand side of the hull, about half way back. The model puts it even further back, towards the tail.

And this picture shows the exhaust port towards the rear of the sub, above the water line. See the smoke coming out?

Post Heat exchanger Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:13 pm
20k/leppard13
I think your right about the heat exchanger vs. the exhaust port. Also about the post about repainting the replica, I think it is a great idea. Not to get off topic of 20k, but i once saw a sale for an indiana jones flying wing plane that was mass produced than painted proffesionally for accuracy and it sold for a $100. Also for a painting tip: The windows appear to be smokey black in the above picture, but they were actually a dark tinted color. I personally think that black is a good color for the window though. As soon as I would love to see pics of the completed model!
Post Model repaint Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:32 pm
20k/leppard13
Sorry, I know that I just posted 20 minutes ago, but I just got some ideas. Because the subs sat in the water all the time (particularly at night), they developed over time a "toilett ring" at the waterline. This is unsightly and purely an optional feature. Also, at the bow I noticed in one picture what looks like a small anchor. This feature was only there for the first few years of the ride and was taken down on most of the subs in the 90's. Do you plan on replicating the wear on any particular sub? The anchor could be found on most model sailing ships. Can't wait for pics of the model!
Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:31 pm
mantix
I'm trying to create an "idealized' version of what the sub looked like when I was a kid. Since I never saw the waterline or the faded paint below it, I'm not going to include that feature. Maybe the anchor, though.

I just dropped the sub off today at a machinist shop in downtown Seattle. They're going to custom fabricate the top light fixture by grinding a "neck" and some rounded edges into the top of a finishing nail, drilling a hole in the sub, dropping the nail in, and gluing it in place. I thought metal was the best answer, because plastic or other materials would snap off too easily with minimal handling.

I'll take a picture when this step is finished, before I get to the painting part.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:06 am
20k/leppard13
I like the idea of a "perfect" sub and am looking forward to seeing it completed. As it happens, I will be in seattle in a month or so visiting family. The waterline is only seen in one picture (in the pictures section of this site). You might want to go light on the "weathered" look though because you are painting it as if it were brand new. Tanks for your tips again about the exchanger. I think it is strange that they would include one of few details on the model to be below the waterline, where it would rarely be seen. I am assuming you have been/worked on the ride, so I was just curious about if from the portholes/passenger section, if you could see the chasis that the sub sat on. Thanks.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:36 pm
mantix
Bass mentioned that all the rust was freshly repainted onto the subs each time they went for an exterior overhaul, because fiberglass doesn't actually rust. So even a "brand new" sub should have areas of rusting.

I rode 20K many times as a child and remember it fondly. You could barely see the track through the water from the outer loading area. You couldn't see the track or the mechanism that holds the sub in the track from the inner passenger vantage point.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:18 am
law.jordan@hotmail.com
interesting technical information on the subs!

well done Bert :D
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic