Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Login
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: The Ride
The official forum of 20kride.com
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic

First unread post
Moderators : Bass, Propwash
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
Post The red light on top of the subs Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:00 am
DisneyDave
eBay was selling a red light that I see in some pics was on top of the sail of the subs but other photos do not have the red light on top. Was the red light a later addition? Just curious ....
Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:20 pm
Bass
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
>>DisneyDave

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:00 pm
eBay was selling a red light that I see in some pics was on top of the sail of the subs but other photos do not have the red light on top. Was the red light a later addition? Just curious .... <<

DisneyDave... not sure what pics you saw that didn't have the emergency light on top... either it was blocked from view or if they were pics of the boats in the junkyard, they were removed... or my memory fails me... but I seem to remember ALL 12 subs had the red warning light on top as well as the red light (one of three lights... like traffic lights... top light was Red, middle light was Yellow, bottom light was green) on the vertical tail-fin. Then again, its possible my memory fails me and the old subs didn't have the big red light on top and maybe only the upgraded ones did? If any of the former 20Kers out there want to wade in on this small subject, please do!

Bass
Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:40 pm
Scooter
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
The red light(s) were indeed on the boats. Remembering that the boats were each individually powered would cause each boat to have an indication of foward (green), neutral or coasting (yellow), and reverse (red).

I suppose that because some of the skippers used to get tired while driving, either tired or hung-over, maintenance and management came up with the red light on top of the sail to make it easier for other boats to see when they were stopped, holding, reversing or being pulled onto the spur line at night. Kind of like a third brake light on a vehicle. Just another reminder of some of the boredom that we faced on out daily trips. Around and around and around.

Scott Karl
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic