Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Login
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: The Ride
The official forum of 20kride.com
Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic

First unread post
Moderators : Bass, Propwash
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
Post Cast members locker rooms located below 20K? Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:41 pm
dntccc
I thought I would ask this to see if anyone else has ever heard this. My wife, son, and I went to WDW in Feb 2004. I asked a cast member about the demise of 20K. One of the things he told me was that the cast members locker room was located under the lagoon and it would leak into the locker room. I would hope that this was not one of the main reasons why Disney did away with what was one of my favorite rides. I have seen where the main reasons seem to be: cost of maintenance, hard access for disabled guests, and slow-loading.

I was curious if anyone else had heard about the locker room being located underneath the ride.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:10 pm
elmonemo21
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
I think that is fairly unlikely. The Magic Kingdom is built over the tunnels but the bottom of the 20K lagoon is 10 or 12 feet below ground level of the Magic Kingdom. So that wouldn't leave much room to have a ceiling with enough reinforced concrete to support all the water in the lagoons plus the subs! Unless the ceilings in the tunnel were very low, which they weren't. So I'm pretty sure the lagoon was built on solid ground.

On the other hand, it is true that the lagoon was next to the locker rooms and perhaps they leaked into the wall of the locker room, but I never heard of that happening when I worked there in '87.
Post 20K and Locker Rooms Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:28 am
Bass
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Yes, the lagoon was over part of the men's locker room but I worked the attraction from 1974 to 1978, four years, and there were never any leaks from the lagoon. The reason the ride was closed was due to Michael Ovitz taking a tour of the ride and the WDW managment who wanted 20K gone so they could meet their bottom-line motivated goals which in turn gave them bonuses in their paychecks. I digress.
The lagoon was made of steel reinforced concrete and had tons of dirt between it and the downstair locker room.

When the lockerroom was quiet, I could hear the 20K subs running in the lagoon...their engines had a very distinct sound to them.

Bass
Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:36 am
beachfan
Just became a member and was reading some boards and its quite funny what the cast members at Disney tell guests. My family and I visited WDW in August of 2006. When we got to the area where 20kride used to be the cast member told us it closed due to the lagoon always leaking. So they dug it up and sent it to France.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:56 pm
20K_ED
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
Isn't it funny how that "leaking lagoon" rumor still persists to this day? Doesn't it ever strike any of these Disney employees as odd that if the ride was closed because the lagoon leaked, Disney left the lagoon sitting there, full of water, for 10 years AFTER they closed the ride?

- ED -
Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic