Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Login
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: The Ride
The official forum of 20kride.com
Page 8 of 9 [ 122 posts ]
Go to page Previous 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic

First unread post
Moderators : Bass, Propwash
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:34 pm
new20k
No, my website is not up yet. But, I want to show everyone the new pin I got. It is a 3D pin.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:21 am
Nicholas P
i want i want!!!!!!!!!
Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:25 am
Scooter
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
I worked there for about three and a half years, going through a complete water out rehab and for a lot of months after. Trained many of the new crew after the ride re-open and was the lead for quite a while after. I know a lot about the ride and how it worked. Ask for specifics and I will give you the answer that you need to the best of my ability.

The subs actually floated, therfore, if the water was too high or too low it would hinder the travel of the subs, floating out of the track or sitting like a rock on the bottom. Each sub had two guide wheels that were rubber tires filled with a thick, non-bouyant material and those were mouned to the sub approximately on-quarter toward the center of the submarine, one fore and one aft. These rode in the cement track and basically guided the boat along the 1300 foot track and through the show building, The bogey system on the front and back also rode in the track and basically provided a bumper system in order to keep the boats from physically bumping into one another. The front bogey had a cup-like reciever that fit, more or less, into the bogey with a spring loaded piston receiver that would cushion the force, say, in the unlikely event of one sub bumping the other. These were also used in order to push a disabled submarine

Each submarine was powered by a four cylinder Perkins Marine Diesel engine. This engine provided power for all of the lights, air conditioning, air compressors and more importantly to the hydraulic pump that drove the screw.( The sub's propeller) Maintenence found that it was easier to adjust the speed by adjusting the flow of the pump than trying to adjust the RPM's and this allowed the engine to run at a constant speed. Each sub needed to be fueled and the tank was in the belly, infront of the engine but to the rear of the ship. Don't know the total fuel, but they were not fueled every night, so they must have had some massive tanks.

The hatches were powered by compressed air and had emergency blows in case it was necessary. Many guys found this out the hard way by standing on the top and pulling the handles in the sail and raising their shipmates, or in one case, by trying to "enhance" the show and using the sound of rushing air to make it sound cool. "Ronald", found out the hard way that this could be dangerous, and get you booted out of Nemo's Navy. It happens.

As for the fish, they were made of fiberglass and covered in a thick latex skin that allowed them to move. They were actuated by air and somtimes under serious pressure. Many a sailor can attest to the geysers in "talking fish". Most of the movement was through actuation, but some of the props ran through electrical work.

The sharks, the color wheels for the aurora boreolis, even the giant squid scene. The arms were on mechanical arms the raised and lowered left and right.

The seaweed was plastic and the strang part was the way that it had to be attached. It was put in after the lagoon was filled. The divers alos put the static fish in after rehabs. We actually would take a sub out, and with the divers in the water, throw the fish to the divers and they would anchor them to the bottom, being sure to stagger their heights. It was fun and somewhat entertaining.
The only part that was controlled was what the squid that set in motion by the sub passing in front of a laser reflector and made the squid move. That was what made the timing so important for that scene.

I will have to go back through the photos that I have to see if I have any old photos from the rehab I was involved in. The cool part at the time was the fact that we belonged to maintenence during the rehab and only worked M-F and a set schedule. Played a lot of golf then. Some of the work was terrible. We were mostly grunts, but only a few that ever put their name in the ride forever.

Need more information? Just ask, hope to reconnect with some of the other skippers and commanders.

Nice to see the web site. Great job.

Scott Karl
Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:08 am
new20k
I am back. But, I am sad to say that the website is not up yet . We had a problem but we will try to get it up this weekend.
Nicholas P, we need your help. Do to storms and other things in Texas, we have change our minds into moving. You said I should move to upstate new york. But I do not know the price per acre. So, could you look it up? Also, can you tell me what the weather is like there during the seasons? If you say no then we will try to look it up.
Also, here is a pic of my desk. It is where we at ######## ##### think of the things in our ride and I draw sketchs of those things. These items in the picture might or might not be in the ride. If there is something on a one of the things than that might be from a party. Also, the small diver is only to help make the real size divers.
Somethings in the picture might not have anything to do with the new 20k ride.
I will reply back with the website address soon. :D :D
Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:41 am
SaturationDiver
new20k wrote:
I am back. But, I am sad to say that the website is not up yet . We had a problem but we will try to get it up this weekend.

As if we couldn't see that one coming...

Quote:
Nicholas P, we need your help. Do to storms and other things in Texas, we have change our minds into moving. You said I should move to upstate new york. But I do not know the price per acre. So, could you look it up? Also, can you tell me what the weather is like there during the seasons? If you say no then we will try to look it up.

Good god, this is just beyond the realms. How on earth can you expect anyone to believe you are trying to rebuild one of the most expensive rides in history, let alone an entire themepark, yet you have to rely upon an anonymous internet user for your site information? No R&D team?

Quote:
Also, here is a pic of my desk. It is where we at ######## ##### think of the things in our ride and I draw sketchs of those things. These items in the picture might or might not be in the ride.

Would this be the top-secret location where development is taking place?

Quote:
Also, the small diver is only to help make the real size divers.

I think I used to have the same one in a fish tank...

Quote:
I will reply back with the website address soon.

I'm sure.

And new20K, you never did answer my previous question.

The sophisticated diving methods and Saturation Diving techniques of the Nautilus have dramatically increased the time man can live comfortably, and for long periods, in the ocean depths.
- Pete Reneday in the Queue Narration
Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:34 pm
new20k
What was your question?
And yes that is some thing for a fish tank because things in water do not move the same as on land. So, we buy many things that was build already for water.
I really hate to say this but 20k was not the most expensive ride or even close to the most expensive ride.
Also, IT WOULD NOT BE TOP-SECRET IF I TOLD YOU!

To finish this reply, I don't care if you believe me, because I am building this ride and you should be thankful that I told anyone about this. Even after the way many of the same 20k ride fans treated me so bad. Really, what do you have against me, what can you lose from this? Everyone will still get the tickets and stuff because and only because (for some of you) that you love this ride as much as I do.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:38 pm
SaturationDiver
new20k wrote:
What was your question?
And yes that is some thing for a fish tank because things in water do not move the same as on land. So, we buy many things that was build already for water.

I was a commercial diver for almost 10 years, don't patronise me. And also, if we're being all smart-alec here, what moves in a fish tank would not necessarily move the same in a 1:1 scale lagoon.

Quote:
I really hate to say this but 20k was not the most expensive ride or even close to the most expensive ride.
Also, IT WOULD NOT BE TOP-SECRET IF I TOLD YOU!

Again, I really have to question your sanity here (Not including the fact that I NEVER said 20K was the most expensive). An attraction's cost in your case does not end at the soft-opening, as much as you may think. Consider the amount of upkeep such an attraction would require in order to keep it operational in history. You would need a team of technicians and commercial divers for a start.

Quote:
To finish this reply, I don't care if you believe me...

Good, because I think you are full of shit.

Quote:
Even after the way many of the same 20k ride fans treated me so bad. Really, what do you have against me, what can you lose from this? Everyone will still get the tickets and stuff because and only because (for some of you) that you love this ride as much as I do.

I have nothing to lose, thank GOD, because I have not invested in you. My purpose is purely calling out people like yourself so other, more impressionable people won't be played for suckers. And finally, I couldn't care less if you consider yourself a bigger fan, nothing could be more sad than someone thinking they care more about a patch of earth than someone else.

The question: How are you going to maintain your attraction once it is operational?

The sophisticated diving methods and Saturation Diving techniques of the Nautilus have dramatically increased the time man can live comfortably, and for long periods, in the ocean depths.
- Pete Reneday in the Queue Narration
Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:19 am
new20k
F### you awol.
SaturationDiver, I don't want to start a fight or make you angry because I like some of the funny things you say. But, I really hate awol. When 2015 come I will give awol a ticket to just say " I was right, ha ha ha".
Also, I only had time to say this. I will post more some time today.
Post Hep me Sat. Diver!!! Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:35 pm
awol
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
I've been harpooned, and I can't get up. My attempts to help endorse reality into this world have, I'm affraid, cost me my life or at least a piercing. Before I run out, cough,gasp, of air I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST IN OUR CONTINUED EFFORT TO KEEP THINGS VESTED IN REALITY. The good doc says I might survive, so I hope to speak with you again soon. Keep up all the outstanding good work and may the seas be ours. Time,Truth, and Honor say we all.. LT AWOL, standing by... P.S. New20K grow some scales.....

"The proof is always in the sorte of unborn octopus!"
Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:07 pm
Nicholas P
upstae ny is hot in summer cold in winter

no hurricanes or storms.......some snow in the winter
Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:29 pm
joez2391
New20k, you have to be the most ignorant person on the planet to call out the actual employees and die hard fans(unlike yourself 8) ). You will never be able to build a replica of the actual 20K ride. I can tell that you are obviously an artist judging by the way you draw :lol:. I think my favorite was the styrofoam square on the oval of blue paint. You should probably see about a professon in Imaginnering...they would love to see someone who can draw like you and the high hopes of rebuilding an attraction without any copyright permission or engineering talent. Wow, its such a surprise that you keep thinking about moving and then dont, simply because this whole thig is a fake. This idea sucks. Grow up. I never rode this ride, but i do know a lot about it. How about reading the pages on this site? a lotta info there...WOW even blueprints! Good luck with this imaginary land of yours, stop smokeing crack and enter the real world buddy.

-Joe (ACTUAL 20K fan)
Post Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:36 am
SkipperChris
Obviously, we are dealing with someone who's knowledge fails to understand the ignorance in his posting. Yes, he is determined, but no, he will not succeed. Nor will he come close to it. If I were you, new20k, I suggest visiting a speciailst, because you must have a serious lack of common sense that could result in you hurting yourself. Am I being rude? Yes, deal with it. You're the one making a mistake. Now, for the administrators and moderators of the forum, this thread is nothing but hopeful spam. I'm not sure how your forum works, but most (if not all) other forums that I've had the privelage to monitor consider spam a serious violation of rules, and give deserved consequences. If I were you, I'd remove the one hinderance that drags this forum down to the depths.

Nicholas P wrote:
upstae ny is hot in summer cold in winter

no hurricanes or storms.......some snow in the winter

You know, Nick, I'm suprised at you. I honestly thought you were a nice chap, with a pretty good attitude. I can clearly see that I was wrong, very wrong. Only an honest fool can believe the ploy that new20k has set up, let alone agree to help and support...

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:45 pm
20K_ED
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
Greetings everyone. I have stayed away from this thread of late because my parents always taught me that it was wrong to poke fun at or antagonize the mentally challenged but I just noticed that one of the sharks from the 20K ride is up for sale on eBay again. For the paltry sum of only $1,500, New20K can get all the information he is dying for right from the source! To someone with the financial resources to build a theme park, $1,500 is barely loose change in the couch. Once he has this original prop from the ride he can run a full chemical analysis on the construction material and have all manner of X-rays and spectroanalysis done to learn how it was made. He can even use it to case exact replicas for the new ride. I can't possibly imagine him passing up this rare opportunity for such an insignificant investment.

Seriously, check the auction out. I would love to know how someone appraised this at $3000. Any appraiser I know would say that, without papers signed by Disney to authenticate it, this looks like something that came out of an old seafood resturaunt and isn't worth more than $50.

Happy Holidays!

- ED -
Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:07 pm
new20k
I hope you get this. My internet is going on and off.
Thanks for the info 20K_ED!
I have good news. My theme park is now planing to open around 2011. Also, to raise money, we will be selling tickets for the opening week for theme park and halloween event tickets now.
Everyone that wants ticket(s) for FREE, can E-mail me at tywer25@gmail.com now.
If E-mail address does not work then post something saying it does not.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:04 pm
20K_ED
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
Too bad you didn't get the shark new20k. It went to Mouse Surplus who will probably resell it. These are the same guys trying to sell a porthole and seat for $1,500! Another auction for a porthole and seat just went unsold at an opening bid of $350.

- ED -
Page 8 of 9 [ 122 posts ]
Go to page Previous 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic