Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Login
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: The Ride
The official forum of 20kride.com
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic

First unread post
Moderators : Bass, Propwash
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
Post 20K sub spotted behind epcot in 1/07 Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:57 am
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
A fan named Jennifer sent in this mysterious shot she took in Jan 07 from the back window of her bedroom window in the Beach Club Villas. It appeared to be parked behind the Soarin' building in Epcot. I say it's the cut one from MGM studios, parked there because they have no place better to put it. I've heard various rumors of it kicking around.

What do you think? Let the debate begin!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:01 pm
SaturationDiver
I'm guessing it's been left there ever since the pin trading event Disney had a while back. Going from the photos I saw, they had a 20K mock-up as part of it, featuring the cut-up submarine hull, some plastic treasure and one of Tom Scherman's replica crew diver suits which USED to be in the queue for The Living Seas (Last time I was there anyway) before they ripped the soul out of that pavillion. Maybe that suit has since gone back into the queue, I have no idea. I haven't been to Epcot since 2003.

I do have one or two photos from it that I pulled from the internet. I'll go have a look-see.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:03 pm
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
very interesting -- if you find those photos email them over to me and I'd love to add them.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:14 pm
SaturationDiver
Found 'em! Like I said before though so I can cover my ass, these aren't my pictures, and I've rehosted it simply to share it with the rest of the folks on here. You can really see what they did to that hull below the water-line, it's been cut almost into zig-zag sections. It also looks like it ends just before the dorsal fin too.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:16 pm
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
amazing!! I'm excited that I can finally tell a pretty good story of what happened to this sub on the site. Do you know the approximate dates that this exhibit was up? any more details about what the show was? thanks!
Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:26 pm
SaturationDiver
No problem at all, always glad to help out.

To be honest you know as much about it as I do. I only came across the pictures, and a description saying "Epcot Pin Trading Event", so anyone's guess is as good as mine. Hopefully someone on here was there and can elaborate on it. I guess we'll see this sub make an appearance every once in a while for things like this, or maybe even photo opportunities one day. I've no doubt that they'll have either destroyed it or sold it before the end of the decade though, they obviously struggle to find places to store it already.

Anyone catch the sub's number before they painted it over?
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:00 am
mprender
Search the message board archives at DisneySub.com. There were quite a few postings on this event because this is where the restored 11ft Nautilus model (which was used in filming 20K) was debuted.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:05 pm
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ah so it was that even then -- I thought it looked kina familar. Here's some awesome photos of the 11ft model!

http://ssdisney.home.att.net/Nautilus/index.htm
Post 20K sub at pin event Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:38 am
Bass
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Ya, it's a ride sub alright, you can see the metal ramp stop at the opening of the forward hatch. And from what Will said, it's been cut off aft of the dorsal fin. Damn shame what they did to those subs but at least we have a model to buy to remind us of what once was. Sorry I haven't been posting much, my dad passed away last October and I'm the executor of his estate and have been quite busy PLUS my daughter got married in Ireland so I spent two weeks there during New Year's !

Bert "Bass" O'Connor
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic