Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Login
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: The Ride
The official forum of 20kride.com
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic

First unread post
Moderators : Bass, Propwash
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
Post Did you ever do something to take the ride down (or close?) Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:34 pm
elmonemo21
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Hey all you helmsman, I was just reminicing back to 20k and remember one time I was getting ready to take a sub out of dry dock and almost sent the ride 10-101. I was in the center front sub, the guillatine door was up, the lead in training, along with the lead gave me the go ahead to pull on out into the caverns. I confirmed that the green light was showing in the caverns but then I looked down and saw that the spur switch was still on roadside.

So here's a few questions to comment on:

1. Would hitting the spur switch in the wrong position have broken it and would that be reason to take the ride down? (assuming we already had 6 boats running.)

2. Who would get the blame for this accident. I don't remember the lead asking me to confirm the switch was in the right position and I can't remember if that was normal procedure. I seem to remember thinking the lead had a much better vantage point to see the switch than I did. At the time I was thinking it would be the lead's fault but I didn't want to get the lead in trouble - that lead at least :wink:

3. Did you ever have an incident where you did or almost took the ride down?
Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:48 pm
shockme
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Interesting questions. The only time during my run the ride went 101 was due to the weather. One afternoon it started raining so hard that the leads decided it was unsafe to keep loading guests so they shut it down. We were down for about an hour before the rain stopped and we started up again. The funniest thing was the guests who didn't want to exit the sub when they saw how hard it was raining. I think I do recall a similar situation to what you described with the green light being on but the spur not where it was supposed to be. But the lead was fully aware and screamed into the radio like a psycho to keep the sub in the dock . I didn't see it, just heard it over the airwaves.
Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:31 pm
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
wow, facinating stuff!
Even I don't know what a 10-101 is though -- I presume it means shutting down the ride mid-day while the park is open?
Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:55 pm
elmonemo21
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Yep, 10-101 is when an attraction is down and 10-102 is when the attraction is up and running.
Post bent spur line switch - boat exiting cavern Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:50 am
alanstigall
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
I recall the ride going down when a boat came out of the caverns and slammed into the spur line switch before it moved back into position. I believe Rob was running the control panel at the time and we were down for the rest of the day.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:46 pm
Scooter
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Strangely enough, they made hima supervisor and the last time I saw him he was a manager at the DIsney Institute Front Desk, I think.

Lots of people got positions of authority when they screwed up royally. Rob, David Buchman in the latter days of my stay in Vulcania. Some of these people I was glad that we worked at seperate time throughout the day

Scott Karl
Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:49 pm
soup
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
I recall two or three close calls with almost taking 20K down.

One was the first time we did a Grad Night as almost a new crew in the late 1980's. The closing crew hooked up the shore power , needless to say when an overzealous helmsman hopped in his sub to take it off the east spurline, he left the shore power line on. The sparks and arcs were quite colorful. The only thing that saved the driver was the lights on the dock were so low and the closing guys were told not to hook up shore power.

Last trips during the fireworks were always fun if the wind was blowing the right way it was like little mortars hitting the lagoon.

The closest was my last shift at 20k. A newbie coming off the spurline had his thrust power on that overrode the forward/reverse of the sub. He went throught the spur and ran into the back 1/4 of an empty sub. The spur held together and we were able to take the damaged empty sub right back to drydock.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:21 pm
Scooter
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Hitting the spur when it was inthe closed position would not cause the ride go 101. If you were backing the sub onto spur or coming out of the caverns at full steam it probably would bend the switch or mess up the inner workings of the switch itself, but you would have to be going really fast and hit the switch in transition right at the precise moment.

Switch confirmation was ust a formality. We use to pull boats under the guillotine door and shut the door right behind them and without being able to see the switch, flip the direction. The next driver would confirm the light, but there were several instances that I was aware of that the lights would burn out. Maintenance would correct the problem as soon as they could , but the light would be off for a while. Strange feeling going through blacklight without being able to see that light. The lead would be ultimately be responsible for the switch, and any good lead would have taken responsibility for any mishap.

There was a time that I was taking a boat off at rear spur and put the key in the front spur lockset and turned the key because I was in a hurry and the driver would see that light in the caverns go from green to red and then back to green again. Scared the driver as well as me (the lead). I never had any incidents that caused the ride to go down. Fortunately for me! I enjoyed my time there.

Scott Karl
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic