Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Login
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: The Ride
The official forum of 20kride.com
Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2 Next
Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic

First unread post
Moderators : Bass, Propwash
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
Post 20k Myths and Legends Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:32 am
Squid
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Post the myths and legends you've heard about 20k the ride here.

- Sub once imploded at night
- A young girl was found dead during a drain once
- The soil which now is Pooh's Playground is cursed (My favorite)
- The original idea of the ride was for it to be roughly the size of Lake Superior and be an all day experience. (Somewhat true the original sketch did show that it would be HUGE!)
Those are some I heard, post yours here!

Back where I belong finally..
Last edited by Squid on Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:52 pm
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ha, great topic!

I heard that a sub flooded in the caverns once and all hands were lost. They fixed the sub and put it back into service, but sometimes, when the sub was stopped in the darkness of the caverns due to a backup, you could faintly hear them screaming under Nemo's narration...
Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:01 pm
SaturationDiver
Ever heard the one about the subs actually diving? :wink:
Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:47 pm
Squid
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
I just added another one I found interesting.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:51 pm
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
A fan writes in to tell me that she rode the ride the first year it opened and she swears the serpent wasn't in it and that it was added later becasuse the ride was 'too adult focused'. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Seems like a myth to me...
Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:06 am
Squid
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Myth most likely. I think that old guy has been there since day one :)

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:50 pm
SaturationDiver
Myth or not, that's pretty interesting! So tragic that they let that guy fall to pieces in 2004. Someone should have rescued and restored him! Isn't it 20K's "birthday" today by the way? 14th, right?
Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:31 pm
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
My god you were right! That was it's birthday! I can't believe I let that day pass without a commemorative event.

Well, we'll raise a toast at my 20K party this Saturday.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:27 am
Squid
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember

Last edited by Squid on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:09 am
mxracer25
When I went to WDW in the summer of 2000, I was told by one of the workers that one of the subs had flooded while the ride was going on and someone had drowned.... and thus thats why the ride had shut down. I didnt know any different at the time because the last time I rode the ride was probably in 1994. When I rode the ride for the last time I still thought the subs actually submerged underwater.. so logically I was like wow it did happen... someone actually drowned!
Post 20K Sub Flooding myth Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:07 am
Bass
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Even if a sub flooded, it's bogey system kept it on the concrete track, so the sub might've settled a little but not so much that anyone would drown inside. Besides, for that to happen, it would've had to have been a near instanteous implosion to flood so quick that anyone would get caught unaware and drown.

The most flooding I ever saw was enough to get your shoes wet and P.O. a guest. Also, some guests saw water, any water, as an opportunity to allow their children to relieve themselves into it. So imagine it's 98 degrees out, it's near 100% humidity (Summer) with the hatches closed, the A/C recycles the air in the sub up through the sail, where I stood, and the smell of fermented urine wafting throughout the sub... all...day...long. I will not soon forget that smell !
Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:14 am
DisneyDave
I heard that a guest tried to sue Disney claiming his eardrums were damaged by the "dive". Anyone hear that? I would have loved to have been the lawyer representing Disney is that was true!
Post re: eardrum lawsuit Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:59 am
lordcutter
I had heard a similar story except it was a woman suing because the "hydrolator" in the living seas caused her hearing damage, Its probably a myth since I cant really find any solid evidence one way or the other... Its also mentioned (at least in the version I heard) that she was quickly laughed out of court because they showed pictures with both doors open showing that its an illusion and you don't really go down at all.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:04 pm
Scooter
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Sub actually sank in drydock area one night. DC and Steve were oing work on it and had the floodlights on. They got called away and left the lights on for the whole night. They came back in and the sub was sitting on the track with about 3-4 feet of water in it. Nobody to the best of my knowledge was ever wet in one unless it was raining outside or they were on the sub that clipped the entrance to the caverns when some Jacka** was trying to add too many special effects and opened the hatch going into the caverns.

Needless to say, he was canned!!
They should have made him a supervisor...

Scott Karl
Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:34 pm
Bass
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Ya, I heard that one too, but it was more like when the hatch was popped going into the caverns, the hatch got peeled backwards and was literally ripped off it's hinges. The caverns didn't have much clearance and when we did evac guests in the caverns, you had to dock the boat just right so you could open the hatch without it hitting an overhead beam that supported the cavern catwalks.

Scooter wrote:
Sub actually sank in drydock area one night. DC and Steve were oing work on it and had the floodlights on. They got called away and left the lights on for the whole night. They came back in and the sub was sitting on the track with about 3-4 feet of water in it. Nobody to the best of my knowledge was ever wet in one unless it was raining outside or they were on the sub that clipped the entrance to the caverns when some Jacka** was trying to add too many special effects and opened the hatch going into the caverns.

Needless to say, he was canned!!
They should have made him a supervisor...
Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2 Next
Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic