Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Login
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: The Ride
The official forum of 20kride.com
Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic

First unread post
Moderators : Bass, Propwash
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
Post An Interesting Rumour About the Last Ride Sub Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:03 pm
20K_ED
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
I was in a collectibles store in Central Florida today and started up a conversation with the owner. He had a lot of Disney stuff and claimed to have bought it from Mouse Surplus. I know there has been a whole soap opera about Mouse Surplus vs. Surplus Kingdom and people tend to use the names interchangably so I am not sure exactly who he meant. I mentioned I had bought some of the 20K ride stuff from them. The guy then asked me if I wanted THE submarine! I say THE because I questioned him if he meant from the ride or the movie. He said the movie and it was a full size one. I told him that couldn't be because that hadn't existed in 50 years, it had to be from the ride. He said all he knew is the guy from Mouse Surplus has one he is trying to sell. The only other piece of useable information I could get out of him was that he "thought" the person selling it wanted 60K for it.

So, could this be the remaining portion of the MGM sub that wasn't completely demolished? If anyone knows anything about this, please share it with the group and if I find out any more I will post an update.

- ED -
Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:15 pm
How very interesting, please keep us posted
Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:05 pm
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Wow. How do people talk about selling these things and then somehow are never even able to supply a photo of what's for sale. I love the black market. Let us know what you can find out!
Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:39 pm
20K_ED
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
This guy was acting like he was just trying to help a friend make a sale. Like I said, he was claiming it was the full size prop sub from the film which it obviously could not be so that shows how much he knows about the subject and/or paid attention to whoever was selling it. I don't have a lot of faith in this turning out to be any more than a rumor but I do plan on asking around and I did want to post it on here in case anyone knew anything. I figured at the very least it was an entertaining story to liven up the board.

- ED -
Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:33 pm
SaturationDiver
. Last edited by SaturationDiver on Sun May 01, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:18 am
20K_ED
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
I asked him that very question saying that this was a smaller model used for underwater shots. The guy told me no, this is the full sized sub for sale. I find it hard to believe even Disney would part with that model but who knows.

At one point in time, wasn't there a third complete sub (not counting the two sent to Castaway Caye or the one chopped up for the MGM tank) that was in the boneyard area of MGM for the tram tour? I never saw it myself but I have heard it referenced before.

- ED -
Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:56 pm
Wow, that would be awesome if another entire sub still existed. :D
Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:34 am
Any update?
Post interesting rumor on the sub ride Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:04 am
He must be speaking of one of the ride subs from WDW. The original Nautilus set was knocked down with Sledgehammers and burned.
The organ is in the Haunted Mansion and a few of the set pieces were sold off, but the sub is gone. The large 22 ft model for surface shots was burned and the single 11ft miniature is presently in storage in California.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:54 pm
20K_ED
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
Yes, I am sure he is speaking of a ride sub but I gave up trying to explain that to him and just listened. You know how people are with their rumors and how they are certain they heard something one way when wiser minds know that could not possibly be the case.

- ED -
Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:46 pm
SaturationDiver
Much like the many irrelevant and often just plain wrong "justifications" trotted out by the blind Disney masses as to why our favourite died? Hehehe.

Best of luck with your continuing quest, Ed. Would be interesting to see what the kernel of truth is in the rumour.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:14 am
ericben01
I really hope there is still a whole ride sub left out there! And I'd love to buy it, but since I don't have the money, I hope that if it exists, it goes into the hands of someone who will take care of it!

On a sidenote, I am going on a cruise next week that goes to Castaway Cay twice, so I will be all over looking for the submerged one, and the other "lost" sub.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
1971-1994
Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic