Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Login
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: The Ride
The official forum of 20kride.com
Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic

First unread post
Moderators : Bass, Propwash
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
Post 20K Erased Bird's Eye view Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:54 pm
ericben01
Sorry, I know I have been starting quite a few topics lately, but I was looking at bird's eye views and was surprised at what I saw.
This is the construction of Pooh's playground. I just thought this was interesting and wanted to share.
Sorry if it's pointless.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v ... kwOTQ3NDIz

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
1971-1994
Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:31 pm
ericben01
I also looked around more, and found the Nautilus burial site. I found out this was the burial site from this...
http://srsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12397

...I looked on the bird's eye and found it. It's almost as if it were a tribute to the fallen Nautiluses, the way the ground is shaped looks like a 20K Nautilus.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v ... kwOTQ3NDIz

The small rubble pile above the giant "Nautilus" is apparently where they lay now, 6 feet under. :cry:

1971-1994
Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:23 pm
SuperBee4406
I say we need to plan a expedition to this site where the subs are buried. We can hike through the woods and swamps, get to the site. And wouldn't it be awesome just to dig down deep enough to expose a small section of one sub for everyone just to be able to touch a sub again.

Disney should let someone buy a sub, restore it, and then tour the country letting people see what a great ride it was.

I know its just a dream......
Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:38 pm
ericben01
that would be so cool!

It would be better if the subs weren't even ground up, but instead just buried, so not too much damage is done!

1971-1994
Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:21 am
20K_ED
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
I hate to break it to everyone but those subs were in pretty bad shape when they scavanged back in 2003 or 2004. Even if they had just sat in the same spot for the last five years, I doubt there would be much left of them now and burrying them would just make them break down that much faster. If they are somewhere you could dig them up, you might be able to recognize a few pieces but not much and you could never restore one without doing a full rebuild. One thing I have always found amusing is that Disney made a big stink about recalling pieces off the subs that were sold. They claimed they had lead based paint on them and were enviromentally unsound. After all that they left them sitting out in theopen where they could get rained on and the lead could leech into the water table of Florida! I bought a lead testing kit and personally checked every piece I own. Nothing tested positive, interior or exterior.

- ED -
Post 20k sub burial site Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:15 pm
Bass
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Bass here, I worked 20k from '74 to '78.
I heard Disney used a front end loader or backhoe and smashed the remaining subs. There was no lead in the paint, I have the actual piece Disney tested for lead content... no lead. They would not have buried them if they had lead in them, not without using some sort of plastic liner that would never leak.

As far as an expedition goes... good luck. If you go, let me know, I will pay a handsome price for the Ear flap that was on the side of the sub's sail that the crewmen used to talk to each other when the boats were docked.

Bass
Post 20k burial site Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:17 pm
Bass
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Bass here one more time...

The aerial photos of the sub burial site were great but one burning question from me:

Why is is such a damned secret to not let everyone know the Lon. and Lat. of the burial site?

The link provided shows the TTC by the parking lot.

Details gentlemen, details!
Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:50 pm
ericben01
the link I gave doesn't show it? :?

I'm sorry, bing maps links aren't so nice to me.

1971-1994
Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:06 am
bobbyp28
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
The links aren't working at all for me...all I see is the Santa Monica FWy and that's in California...what am I missing here?

Thanks,

Rob

20k '72-'73
Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:36 am
ericben01
wow.

that's weird.

I'm not sure why it doesn't go to the view I had

1971-1994
Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic