Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Login
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: The Ride
The official forum of 20kride.com
Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2 Next
Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic

First unread post
Moderators : Bass, Propwash
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests
Post Any new updates on the last two subs? Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:36 pm
awol
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
Ahoy again me mates! Just a quick question to see if any one has any info, or current updates, on the two subs that were taken down to Disney's island on the cruise ship route. I'd like to know as I'm going on a Disney cruise soon, and the travel folks would not give me any answers for my question. Thanks again to all, and especially Propwash and Bass for keeping this site alive. LT Awol, standing by.................................. :wink:

"The proof is always in the sorte of unborn octopus!"
Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:33 pm
ericben01
I'm not sure, sorry. :(

but I would like to know the same thing, so for anyone who does know, please tell.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
1971-1994
Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:13 pm
ericben01
I think I finally have your answer, but it's not pretty.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davecobb/3 ... otostream/

I cannot believe they would give the last remaining 20k sub in existance such a shallow grave. The ship is a mess from what I see of these pictures. All that is left is the hull with ugly ropes and useless crap thrown over it. The sail has completely vanished, along with the intimidating, yet beautiful front look. Now it just looks like a regular boat that sunk. Hell, even the dorsal fin is gone. I just find it hard to believe the submarine that once was a beautiful piece of machinery that made thousands of people happy for many years is now at the bottom of the sea destroyed. It's really a shame because that was the last remaining fully intact sub from the ride. I was really looking forward to going on a cruise soon, and snorkeling a long way to get to the submarine. I was really looking forward to seeing the bulging eyes stare at me underwater, as I am scared, but amazed. That day will never come. Quite possibly I will go snorkel to it, but the eyes will never see me, and I will never see the eyes :cry: . Look through the album, because it shows a variety of views.
...and please if anybody has other information on if this is just one of the Cay subs, and there (hopefully) is still another one there, please let me know!

1971-1994
Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:08 am
awol
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
Thank you Eric for the update. Now, as I sadly press these keys on my board, I just don't know if my heart and soul can still make the cruise.:cry: The last good info I had was very dated, and it showed the two subs (one red & one still green) docked by the DCL ship. One was to be placed in a childrens sand box area, and the other to be sunk in the snorkle area. I know hurricanes have come and gone, and our 20K world is not what we had hoped for. Are these the most current, and or up to date photos? If not could ANYONE please let us know and update our info. Thank you very much again Eric for the post. Red skies at night to all. LT Awol standing by..................

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:58 pm
ericben01
Hi Awol,

I believe this is the current condition of the sub. I'm hoping that the other sub is still in the water, intact, and farther away so fewer people can get to it to destroy it, but close enough that someone who deserves to see it can get up close and personal. It says on the picture descriptions that they were taken in 2008, but that is all the information I have, sorry.
I hope I could help you out at least a little bit!

-Eric

1971-1994
Post The snorkeling nautilus is alive and pretty well! Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:07 pm
Hi folks,

I found this site while doing research for what to do while on the 4 Day Disney cruise my wife and I returned from yesterday (2/11), and was fascinated hearing about the demise of the ride, and intrigued at whether or not I might find the possible last Nautilus in the Castaway Cay snorkeling lagoon. My wife and I went out snorkeling on Tuesday and got about half way around when my wife was too tired from the waves and headed back. Fortunately she let me stay, and I continued out around the perimeter... and there it was... the last nautilus! I swam up on her by accident and was just thrilled to find her still there... I was litterally cheering "Yes Yes YES" through my snorkel!!! Her sail is gone, and the center fin as well, but the tail fin still stands tall, and the portholes are all visible. The ship appears to be in great condition with a plethora of barnacles covering it. The openings are covered with netting, but the ship is completely accessible should you want to touch it. At low tide the tail fin was probably less than a foot under water. Not sure the tide height at Castaway, but it would have been cool to see it deeper. The ship is massive... and I will soon post the video I took of its entire perimeter. If you have the chance to go to Castaway Cay, make sure you go all the way out and you'll find her... just waiting for people like us who can really appreciate her!
Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:51 pm
Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e--mkAYAfYc
Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:51 am
awol
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
To niceorange: With all my heart, and both my lungs, I THANK YOU Sir for giving us all this wonderful information, and the outstanding video of your dive. I hope you and your family had a good time on the cruise, and please do not hesitate to stay in touch with this site. While some people don't care to remember the past, we do! Once again, on behalf of myself and all the site members, our greatest thanks, and we all look forward to hearing more about your dive soon. As always 20KTR will never die as long as we do not let it. Red skies to all, and may we never give up or lose our love of the greatest WDW attraction of all time no matter what Disney madness may come. LT Awol, standing by.........

Last edited by awol on Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:36 am
Thank you so much for that video, although it could be in better condition, its nice to see it at all.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:41 pm
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thanks so much for sharing your amazing video -- that was pretty much the last major item on my wish list for this site! Wonderful and so cool to see.

Though you took away my excuse to one day go on a cruise and shoot it myself. :) Well, maybe I still will someday.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:32 pm
are you guys positive that one was used for a play area for kids, has anyone ever been to castaway cay?
Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:01 am
awol
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
Greetings again Trleft. I'll have to go back to the old "Way back machine" to try and find that info. My earlier post, and it's info, was based on a shared photo somewhere on this evil necessity we call the internet . Once upon a time there were "2 Nautilus" docked by the Disney cruise ship at the WDW island. One still greenish, and one that had been painted red. While I can not locate that old photo file, it was posted. Hopefully some one can help us relocate that photo, and the time/date stamp of it's origin. Not that it is true, but once again it was said that one was to be placed in the snorkle area and the other destined to be a childrens play area. Granted this info was before the hurricane hit the island many years ago. I do hope we can solve this puzzle........

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:04 pm
When I was at CC and shot the video, I also kept my eyes open for any other subs in the play areas, but saw none. I remember seeing a picture on here as well, but can't find it now. The primary play area for younger kids is setup like an archealogical dig with a whale skeleton, etc. which plays into the Disney "story" on the origin of the Island... suprisingly Disney doesn't tell guests how it was used as a drug smugglers hangout. It could be that the sub didn't fit the theme and therefore was removed by Disney, or it could be that it was damaged in one of the hurricanes. Either way, at least the dive sub is there... at least for a little longer we hope.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:28 am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/ ... CRUISE.jpg

Here's the photo, but I don't know how to get the image info from it.

(editted for size issues.)
Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:30 pm
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ha, that photo is actually on the site here too! I guess my website isn't as easy to search as it could be...
Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2 Next
Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic