Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Login
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: The Ride
The official forum of 20kride.com
Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2 Next
Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic

First unread post
Moderators : Bass, Propwash
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
Poll:

What was your first 20K love?

20K the book
4%
4% [ 2 ]
20K the book
4%
4% [ 2 ]
20K the Disney movie
27%
27% [ 14 ]
20K the Disney movie
27%
27% [ 14 ]
20K the ride
19%
19% [ 10 ]
20K the ride
19%
19% [ 10 ]
some other version of 20K
0%
0% [ 0 ]
some other version of 20K
0%
0% [ 0 ]
Total votes : 52
Post What was your first 20K love? Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:47 am
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thought I'd kick things off with a little poll -- what got YOU hooked on 20K?
Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:04 am
Squid
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
I really actually didnt know much about 20k untill I started working on the ride. I heard about the books and all of that but I really didnt know to much else.

Back where I belong finally..
Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:47 am
SaturationDiver
First rode 20K around 1982 or so, but I only saw the film for the first time in 2004...
Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:22 am
law.jordan@hotmail.com
I love the film and the ride! there all so great

sadly, i never rode on the nautilus but i got close to the sub that used to be in the backlot tour water tank in disney MGM stuidos.
the thing was huge, as well as the nautilus in disneyland paris!
Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:11 pm
awol
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
Fortunately I had seen the movie a couple of times, but after that first ride in '71 I would have to say most definitely: THE RIDE!! Thanks again to Bass ( and all the mates) for tolerating the exuberance of my youth, and the rest of those glorious years!
Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:42 pm
SuperBee4406
In 1980 my family went to WDW, and I got to ride 20K. I still to this day remeber, sitting down, smelling the chorline, and really beliving we were really diving down into the depths. After we got off the ride, I took some shots of the subs moving around with our Super 8 movie camera. My mother said she wants to get those movies transfered to DVD, but she hasn't yet. All these years later I have been wanting to return to WDW and ride 20k again with my wife. I went on the internet to show her what to expect, and found this site, which then showed me the truth that the ride has been closed since 1994. I sat here in horror as I looked through the photos of the demolition.

Now all I have to look forward to is the haunted mansion. When we were there in 1980, the ride broke, and we were stuck there watching the three signing heads loop thier song for over and hour.

I also remeber looking at the subs moving around in the pool, and I tried to figure out how they got the large sub from the movie into such a small pool, not knowing the truth of how the subs really worked. What did you expect I was 9 years old.....hehe

I saw the movie many times in the 80's when we had it on VHS. And to this day watching the movie is awesome, I still dream about getting to be on that sub.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:22 am
mantix
I loved riding 20K as a litle kid in the 70's, when I lived in South Florida and visited Disney World at least once a year.

It was right up there with Space Mountain, because both rides offered the ultimate immersive experience. Virtual reality without the computers and clunky goggles.

I didn't care about the long lines or the heat-- climbing down into that sub was a must-do on every trip.

Strangely, I only watched the 20K movie for the first time last week. It was a great film, and helped to put a lot of things into context, but the mysterious Disney World attraction will always be my first and favorite memory. Last edited by mantix on Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:47 am
law.jordan@hotmail.com
hi guys its Jordan!

i would consider you guys lucky as you actually got to go on the ride. i never, which is weird for i love the nautilus. i saw the empty lagoon in 1999 and 2002. once i went again to walt disney world in 2006, it was destroyed and i was gutted to see no water scenery or green lamposts. what a shame! :cry: anyway, i first fell in love with the ride and then the film. my grandparents went to florida in October 1993 and taped and photographed beautiful footage of the nautilus. i saw the tapes as a kid, remembering the loud noise the subs made and seeing the large round eyes just staring at me. it took my breath away. i have not seen the footage since but i am going to put it on CD when i find it. the film is good as well and i just love the bronze nautilus. I wonder, why was the nautili green on the ride and not bronze like on the film?
guys, if you have seen the 1961 film mysterious island, the nautilus looks remarkably like the disney one! good film too!
see you guys soon bye! :)
Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:09 pm
NemoHelmsman
Loved the movie first.

Then the book.

Then, years later, the ride.

Rode it in 1993.

Kinda made me giddy when I found out I was going to be driving subs at DLR. Yeah, they ain't the same subs....nowhere near as cool, but still....*grins and shrugs*

T

"So explorers, I've had people ask me how these docks have stayed standing so strong for close to 50 years and I tell them to just take a look.....they're covered with mussels."
Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:29 pm
awol
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
Please excuse my not knowing, but what is DLR? Disney Land Resort?
Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:52 pm
NemoHelmsman
Yeah...sorry....Disneyland Resort.

My bad....I'll just go hide in this corner for a while and be quiet.... ;)

T

"So explorers, I've had people ask me how these docks have stayed standing so strong for close to 50 years and I tell them to just take a look.....they're covered with mussels."
Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:17 pm
awol
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
No apology required my friend. Some of us have just always been sheltered by WDW. I'm working on my abbreviation skills. It is good to know true helmsmen are still at the controls.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:16 pm
NemoHelmsman
No longer looping tapes...all sensors now.

But we've still got helmsmen in the sails, making the subs go.

Just wish our subs had the sense of style the WDW subs had. Sure, it's cool when I drive Sub 1 (Nautilus) and then see that exact same sub in archival footage....but I'm driving a TWINKIE!!! *LOL*

But back to the love of 20K...

T

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:13 am
AchillesUK
For me personally, its the 1954 movie.

This one Disney classic epitomises everything I love about the golden age of movies when they were indeed classics.

Everything about that movie was perfect and it will live long in my heart as one of the movies of my life.

Having never got to ride the Disney attraction, I now have learned I will never get the chance to :(
Post movie film Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Rob_Porter
Super B or any others....if you still have any 8mm or Super8 movie film....I run a business that converts this to dvd....

I was also a 20K crew member during 1972 and 1973....I've just sent Dave a picture of me on the dock...

But in any event, I will be glad to offer my service at n/c for this project in order to help Dave get more of this video converted to "ditital" and put on the web site...(and I will be glad to return the film to you unharmed upon completion....)

Just let me know....

Rob Porter
Thomasville, Ga
bobbyp28@yahoo.com
Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2 Next
Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic