Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Login
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: The Ride
The official forum of 20kride.com
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic

First unread post
Moderators : Bass, Propwash
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
Post 20k and Submarine Voyage Mermaids! Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:25 pm
Pink Mermaid
Hello all!

I'm a long-time visitor of the 20k site and a huge Disney fan. :) It's actually my goal to become an Imagineer after college, so these sort of sites fascinate me to no end.

I was hoping that maybe some of you could help me! I've been searching high and low looking for some nice photos of the animatronic mermaids from both the 20k Ride and Submarine Voyage ( especially Sub Voyage ). They have always intrigued me, but it's hard to find information on them! I was hoping that maybe some of you had some pretty pictures or information you would like to share?

This is the best picture that I've been able to find of a Submarine Voyage mermaid. An artist creating the master sculpt for the figures! :)

I'm looking forward your responses! : D Thanks for reading!
Post Fantastic photograph! Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:27 pm
law.jordan@hotmail.com
wow that is a great photo!

I mean that photographs of the Disneyland Submarine Voyage behind the scenes are very rare, but I have myself seen some wonderful examples, such as the sea serpent and Walt Disney posing next to a HUGE octopus animatronic!

Even though I never rode on the Nautilus, I have seen my fair share of videos of the ride. I always thought that the mermaids were so eerie and almost frightening!
Post Re: Fantastic photograph! Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:52 am
PinkMermaid
law.jordan@hotmail.com wrote:
wow that is a great photo!

I mean that photographs of the Disneyland Submarine Voyage behind the scenes are very rare, but I have myself seen some wonderful examples, such as the sea serpent and Walt Disney posing next to a HUGE octopus animatronic!

Even though I never rode on the Nautilus, I have seen my fair share of videos of the ride. I always thought that the mermaids were so eerie and almost frightening!

Aww! Thanks for your reply! : ) I noticed that this board isn't so active, so I was worried that I wouldn't get one! I really appreciate it.

Even though this topic is about the mermaids, I would absolutely LOVE to see the photos that you were talking about- I don't think I have before! They sound really cool. : D

The best thing I've seen of the mermaids other than that picture I posted above was this video of the original ride-through: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDolfiZ4e-s

While it's really excellent and I was absolutely THRILLED when I first discovered it, I would love to see some still pictures of the mermaids- something with a little more detail! The pictures on this site are AMAZING- I just wish the pics of the mermaid scenes were a little bigger. : / I'm dying to get a closer look at them!

Does anybody know where they ended up? Destroyed? Saved? The Sub Voyage mermaids seem to be made of a sort of rubbery material- it looks as though they would have to be replaced a lot due to the chlorine.

Also, does anybody have any info on the mechanics of the mermaids?

AGH! SO MANY QUESTIONS! : D
Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:50 pm
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Very nice picture find Pink!

I think the rubbery mermaids in the submarine voyage were taken out after a few years; they don't appear in modern color videos of the ride. But they sure were fun!

I doubt we'll ever know what happened to the mermaids in the 20k ride; they're probably hanging in some guys basement in florida. :)
Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:23 am
PinkMermaid
Hi, Propwash! : ) Thanks for the reply!

You think the rubber mermaids were taken out? I've seen some newer footage of the ride myself... and they look the same to me! They look like the same mold- just that the animation was dumbed down.

Have you ever come across any pictures of the mermaids? 20k or Sub Voyage? : D I'm dying to see some!
Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:01 am
law.jordan@hotmail.com
hi!

there are some mermaid photos from the ride on this website.
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic