Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Login
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: The Ride
The official forum of 20kride.com
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic

First unread post
Moderators : Bass, Propwash
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
Post Mermaids on the 20k ride? Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:19 am
mxracer25
Did anyone ride the California ride when they had the mermaids swimming in the lagoon?? Does anyone know why they quit having the mermaids or just have any general information about the mermaids being on the ride? I just thought it was cool how they had the mermaids on the ride.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:33 am
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
The reason I've heard cited was because the harsh chlorine turned their hair green and made their eyes burn -- I'm sure even in short shifts the sun would be brutal too. I've also heard strories of how on rare occasions overexcited guests would dive in and swim to the mermaids; quite a liablilty concern!!

Mike of Widen Your World has some speculation on his 20K page about how a rock in the lagoon looks like a perfect spot for mermaids and that it could have been its original intention. Check it out:
http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/20K.htm Last edited by Propwash on Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Mermaids on the 20K ride Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:56 am
Bass
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Well I'd suspect that it was for cost reasons. At WDW they use to have the Swan Boats ride in front of Cinderella's Castle and cute young women would pilot the boats and give a boat tour of almost the entire park via all the canals that run throughout the park. Bet ya wondered why those canals were there in the first place, eh? Iimagine...they engineered the entire park to have canals to accomodate Swan Boats and then they cancelled the "ride" after the first few years. Amazing waste of space and time spent planning and building it and designing the entire park around it!

Anyways...Mermaids! Can't love 'em, can't eat 'em, so what to do with them? In Florida we have Weeki Wachee springs that have "mermaids" that swim in the crystal clear fresh water springs. the 20K lagoon was full of chlorine at levels that would peel skin off your body...so I suspect that was another big reason they "cancelled" them.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:29 am
Squid
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Mermaids? I swear I saw them once or I may be thinking of something else. I swear they were there once or maybe I'm thinking about the wrong thing. Or maybe they were there for a very special V.I.P once or Ha! call me crazy.

Back where I belong finally..
Post Mermaids? Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:55 pm
elmonemo21
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Mr. Baxter, if you think you're seeing mermaids and sea monsters, you've been submerged too long!! :lol:
Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:15 am
mxracer25
I bought some of the DVDs from the extinct attraction site. it only took FOREVER to get them! anyway, the dvd about the submarine voyage and the 20k ride was ok. it probably only had about 5 minutes of 20k ride footage! i know i was very upset! most of the video dealt with the submarine voyage. hopefully in the future a new dvd with more 20k stuff will come out.

As for the mermaids on the ride.. it said on the dvd that the reason the mermaids were stripped from the ride was because the chlorine was making their hair green and most of the girls were becoming very sick from all the chlorine in the water. It shows a lot of footage to the mermaids when they were present and it finally gives us the real reason why they disappeared.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:29 pm
Propwash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Yeah, 20K appears on the Submarine Voyage video only as a little bonus. Dave at Extinct Attractions is in fact working on a huge 20K documentary with some really great interviewees (including yours truly :)) that should be something really special.

Just to clarify for the readers though: those mermaids in the video are in the Disneyland Submarine Voyage ride; not in 20K.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:28 am
mxracer25
do you know when this new 20k dvd is supposed to come out?
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic