Board index FAQ Search View unanswered posts View active topics Login
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: The Ride
The official forum of 20kride.com
Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2 Next
Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic

First unread post
Moderators : Bass, Propwash
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
Post More sub questions! Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:21 am
awol
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
Thanks to all for the latest info and facts. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what the actual cost of a completed ride sub was back in 1971? How about it, Bass? And was the total number of subs built 14 or were there any built after opening day for replacement. Maybe one hiding with Walt's cryo tank? Thanks again to all for the great info, and I look forward to hearing more of the good stuff. LT AWOL standing by........

"The proof is always in the sorte of unborn octopus!"
Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:10 pm
law.jordan@hotmail.com
hi its Jordan! :)

there were only 13 subs in the whole fleet, with the 13th sub in the clutches of the giant squid! :o I believe that the cost for a ride sub was almost half a thousand dollars, but correct if i'm wrong. walter elias disney was NOT cryogenically frozen!!!!!!! :( the legend is false and after he died, he was cremated according to his will, which i have actually seen. it ould be interesting for the sub to be with walt, but its just not true. one rumour circulated that a sub was sent to the smithsonian in washington DC. this is true?

thanks for listening. see u soon!

bye! :wink:
Post Re: More sub questions! Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:46 pm
Bass
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
I don't know the original cost of a 20K sub back in 1971 but I do seem to remember hearing that WDW was built for about $100 Million 1971 dollars... which today would probably translate to several Billion dollars. Anywho, for $100 Million for the entire park and everything that was in it at the time, I'm sure each sub didn't cost all that much. Also, you have to remember A LOT of stuff at Disney was built at Disney by union carpenters, so that $100 Million got Disney a lot of stuff made... The subs then could've cost around (I'm guessing $20K each? LOL)

There were only 12 subs total, ever, at 20K. I don't know how many they had 10/01/71 opening day. It seems that many so called "experts" state there were only 9 subs or 14 subs (not saying you're one of them, so don't take offense) there were 12 subs total, period. There is one sub left hiding behind some attraction at EPCOT, there are two in the sea at Disney island in the Carribbean, there are tons of black market items out there with "collectors" and that's about it. The sub in France is not a sub at all, just the upperworks on a slab of concrete.

When we ran 20K, the most subs we ran were all 12 and that meant you literally had a backup of subs all throughout the caverns and into the docks. Each sub was 40' long and they ran in packs of 3 subs each... we did this rarely and only on the busiest of Summer days.

awol wrote:
Thanks to all for the latest info and facts. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what the actual cost of a completed ride sub was back in 1971? How about it, Bass? And was the total number of subs built 14 or were there any built after opening day for replacement. Maybe one hiding with Walt's cryo tank? Thanks again to all for the great info, and I look forward to hearing more of the good stuff. LT AWOL standing by........
Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:51 pm
awol
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
Thanks mates, and no offense taken Bass! I had heard of the two that went to the resort island. The pics I saw were of one still green and one painted red docked by the cruise ship. I also saw the underwater shots of the (red?) one taken by a diver. Does anyone know if they are both still there, and what acces do guest have of seeing them now. Also is the one hidding at EPCOT still complete, or has it been scuttled to be used for special events only. Thanks again to all for the great info. LT AWOL, standing by..

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:05 pm
Bass
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
I heard there is a Red sub by Disney's island and I recently saw photos of a submerged sub buried halfway in sand underwater and the portholes are barred so divers can't go inside and get stuck and drown (I guess). The sub behind EPCOT... who knows; it may be fully intact outside but inside? Who knows what's on the inside. It would be nice if it was totally complete and being readied for the Smithsonian, right?
Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:09 pm
awol
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
Thanks Bass. It is good to talk with you about the past glory of WDW and your part in it. Lord only knows how many times you sailed myself and my family "beyond the depths of man and his puny creations.". All of my good memories of the 70's were spent at WDW, and I only wish todays children were able to enjoy the world we had. Okay, enough of my ranting! On the current location and condition of the remaining WDW Nautilus I am hoping someone may have info about them. I'll try to catch you on the PM side. Thanks again to all the mates! LT AWOL, standing by...........

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:49 am
law.jordan@hotmail.com
hi guys (including bass)! :D

disney's island is castaway cay, which lies in the bahamas and is a port of call for the disney cruise line. there used to be two submarines at the island, one green and one red. both were sunk in the lagoons for guests to snokel by them or visit them. Unfotunately, it had been reported that the red sub had been destroyed in 2005. luckily, the green sub still exists, but is just the hull and portholes that remain. the helm with the round black windows and spiked crest was removed by collectors years ago. theere is in fact a nautilus behind the land pavilion in epcot! its only the top-half of it and it has no tail, but it is still there in its glory and is possibly the only thing you'll get close to a nautilus. unfortunately, access is dangerous if you are not a cast member as you can risk getting excluded from the parks. be very caerful! :(

i hope that this reply has answered your questions and i hope to see you again soon. bye! :) Bert, you rule!
Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:38 am
awol
Friend of 20K Ride
Friend of 20K Ride
Thanks Jordan!

Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:46 am
law.jordan@hotmail.com
hi guys! its jordan! :D

i was wondering if you guys can help me answer these questions out of curiousity?

1) was there air ventilation in the subs?
2) how were the subs unloaded and loaded?
3) was the flag at the entrance really renamed LEAGUES into SEAGUEL at opening day?
4) what is the purpose of the three lights on the sub? grren,red and yellow
thanks for your attention and i'll you guys soon! bye! :D
Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:48 am
joez2391
I was lucky enough to go behind the land pavillion and see the nautilus "shell." Its propped up next to an origional Jungle cruise boat. It was in a very restricted area, not anywhere close to the Behind the seeds tour, so if you think by taking hte tour you might get a peek at it, dont waste your money. :D
Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:17 am
law.jordan@hotmail.com
hi guys its jordan :)

do you have any personal photos of the nautilus shell behind epcot?

if you do, i would love to see them. thanks!

see you again soon bye! :D
Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:18 pm
DisneyDave
I just saw the green Nautilus a few weeks ago in the snorkeling area. The tail is intact but the sail and the "middle" fin are gone. I heard the hurricanes ripped the top and fin off but I do hope a collector got them. Disney put a net over the gaping hole in the top and you can still see the pilot's thruster lever on the right side but the control panel is gone (just dangling wires). The hulk is leaning to one side so you can only see one side and it's set of portholes. The rear and front hatches are deteriorating along the edges so you can see the steps but little else. Such a shame to see this rotting away. I need to get over to the Land to see that Nautilus. I know they had a "top" only Nautilus that had been photographed around EPCOT, not a full sub. I know we sent a Dumbo car and another ride vehicle to the Smithsonian but do not think we did anything with the subs but send some to Castaway Cay and the rest to our landfill (after MouseSurplus got to scrap them). I wish at least one had been preserved. Thanks all for your input on this and keeping this forum alive! 20K4EVER
Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:45 pm
DisneyDave
Someone already posted this picture on the forum but here is the link again. You can see the Jungle Cruise boat behind it:

http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... luscb9.png
Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:19 am
Bass
20K Crewmember
20K Crewmember
Yes, there was an air vent system in the subs... the air conditioner intake vent was right behind the helmsman in the Sail.

The subs were loaded and unloaded using incredibly heavy steel ramps that were hydraulically actuated by switch on the dock in chest-high stainless steel boxes on steel poles.

Don't know that story about the flag though I do know who "acquired" it and has it rat-holed somewhere in his garage.

The lights on the tail of the sub showed the sub operator behind what you were doing with your throttle.
Red was engine reverse
Yellow was neutral throttle
Green was forward throttle

The throttle had what they called a dock switch which was a little electrical toggle switch when activated (while docked) provided gentle revs on the prop to make the dock rope taut when loading guests in the boat.

Bass

>>law.jordan@hotmail.com

Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:46 am
hi guys! its jordan!

i was wondering if you guys can help me answer these questions out of curiousity?

1) was there air ventilation in the subs?
2) how were the subs unloaded and loaded?
3) was the flag at the entrance really renamed LEAGUES into SEAGUEL at opening day?
4) what is the purpose of the three lights on the sub? grren,red and yellow
thanks for your attention and i'll you guys soon! bye! << Last edited by Bass on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:08 am
NemoHelmsman
Bass wrote:
The throttle had what they called a dock switch which was a little electrical toggle switch when activated (while docked) provided gentle revs on the prop to make the dock rope taut when loading guests in the boat.

I am so insanely jealous.

The subs we use on the west coast...we have to use the standard throttle stick and throttle up VERY slowly...hold it for a few seconds, and let it drop back down. *laughs*

And we only have two lights.....green for throttle forward, red for reverse. If neither is on, it's in neutral.

Jealous, jealous, jealous...

T

"So explorers, I've had people ask me how these docks have stayed standing so strong for close to 50 years and I tell them to just take a look.....they're covered with mussels."
Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2 Next
Forum locked Post new topic   This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Reply to topic